TWAS-CSIR 2023 Postgraduate Fellowship Programme (Fully-funded)
The TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme is a collaborative effort between the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and UNESCO-TWAS. This program aims to provide opportunities for scholars from developing countries to pursue research leading to a PhD in emerging fields of science and technology.
The TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowships offer the opportunity to conduct research at CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a duration of up to four years. Successful applicants have the option to either be registered for a PhD degree in their home country or enroll in a PhD program at any recognized university in India. This flexibility allows scholars to pursue their research goals while benefiting from the resources and expertise available at CSIR institutions.
TWAS-CSIR, also known as the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) and the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), is an influential partnership that aims to promote scientific excellence and capacity building in developing countries. TWAS is a global organization based in Trieste, Italy, and CSIR is a premier scientific research institution in India. Together, they collaborate to support scientists in developing nations through various programs, scholarships, and grants. TWAS-CSIR plays a crucial role in fostering international scientific collaborations, facilitating knowledge exchange, and addressing global challenges through scientific research and innovation. By harnessing the expertise of both TWAS and CSIR, this partnership serves as a catalyst for scientific advancements, empowering researchers from developing countries to contribute to the global scientific community and drive sustainable development.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): TWAS-CSIR, India
Host Institution(s): CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Scholarship Level: PhD
Nationality: Developing countries
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme:
- Applicants must be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Applicants must be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Applicants must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the Application Form). NB: Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
Benefits for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme:
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs
- Food and
- Health insurance
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
Application Procedures for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme (How to Apply):
If individuals have already enrolled in a PhD program in their home country, they must ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of their home university signs a copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” (provided in the Application Form). This signed copy should be sent to both CSIR and TWAS.
When applying for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme, applicants must submit an acceptance letter from a CSIR institution to both CSIR and TWAS. It is essential to include this acceptance letter either during the application process or by the specified deadline. Applications without preliminary acceptance will not be considered for selection.
For the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme, applications should only be submitted to TWAS through the online portal. Additionally, a copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR via email. A tutorial on how to use the online application form can be downloaded below.
Please note that applicants are allowed to apply for only one program per calendar year within the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. They will not be eligible to visit another institution during that year under the TWAS visiting Professors programs. However, there is an exception for the head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share their expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs. Such individuals may still apply for another program.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2023
For more information Visit the Official Website