Kofi Annan 2024 Award for Innovation in Africa
Kofi Annan 2024 Award for Innovation in Africa is now open for applications from candidates with what it takes to provide solutions through technology.
The Austrian Federal Chancellery, together with the Kofi Annan Foundation, invites entrepreneurial start-ups with a proven business model and a demonstrated social impact to submit their business plans in order to bring their impact to scale and benefit as many Africans as possible.
The Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa seeks to raise awareness for the potential African entrepreneurs hold to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and honour the late Kofi Annan’s legacy and commitment to a more just and equitable world.
SEE ALSO: Latest Internships
Program Sponsor(s): Kofi Annan Foundation
Host Institution(s): The Austrian Federal Chancellery
Funding Amount: Funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Social Entrepreneurs
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria for the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa:
- Applicants venture must be a for-profit legal entity and incorporated for at least two years at the time of application.
- Your solution is anchored in at least one African country
- The applicant must have existing contacts/presence in the country of implementation: country office or other permanent presence, subsidiary, long-term operations or partnerships in the country.
- Your innovation clearly addresses one or more priority topics included in this call for applications.
- Your innovation has more than 1 million people in the total addressable market.
- Your innovation must be at least at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage; a validated prototype with user testing can also be eligible.
- Your solution should have a committed founding team with at least three full-time employees.
- Applicants should be able to provide evidence of user/customer validation of the value proposition.
- Your venture should be developing a clear path to commercial viability and financial sustainability (business model fit).
- Your solution should have a potential plan to implement as part of the 12-month Sprint programme.
- Innovations should change existing or establish new routines and positively impact one or more of the following aspects: food security, employment and income generation and/or climate resilience and natural resource protection.
- Ventures should be able to demonstrate they have a diverse, non-discriminatory, gender-balanced venture with demonstrated leadership and entrepreneurial mindset, and the vision of the team.
- We prioritize ventures that focus on promoting gender equality and empowering women through their beneficiaries, job creation, or having a high representation of women in leadership positions.
- The entity does not fall under any of the points listed in the solemn declaration.
- The venture pays attention to environmental protection and climate change, gender equality and women empowerment, as well as social inclusion (leave no one behind).
About the 2 edition
- The focus of the second edition is on Sustainable Development Goal 2 Zero Hunger to improve the resilience of the African food systems. Therefore, with the Kofi Annan Award, the Austrian Federal Chancellery, together with well-renowned partner organizations, is looking to support innovative and digital food security and agritech solutions across Africa and boost their impact. The Call will be open to African social entrepreneurs and purpose-driven enterprises with a measurable social impact and sustainable business model.
- Innovations should address one or more of the following priority topics:
- Inclusion of marginalized groups in food security
- Enhanced nutrition for women
- Circular solutions and reduction of post-harvest losses
Application Procedures for the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa (How to Apply):
To submit your application for Kofi Annan Award, follow these steps:
- Please complete the Application Form.
- If you know a relevant venture or solution for us to consider for this programme, please let us know by filling out our Referral Submission Form.
- We will review and select successful applications to participate in a fully virtual WFP Innovation Bootcamp in February 2024. While we value all applications, we are only able to contact shortlisted applicants.
- Interested, but don’t feel your idea is ready yet? Don’t let this stop you! You can still send your application, as we are creating a pool of solutions with a focus on climate-resilient agriculture. This pool of solutions could be invited for future programmes.
- At least one of the team members must be fluent in English. Please note the entire programme is delivered in English.
Application Deadline: February 8, 2024
For more information Visit the Official Website.