African Economic Research Consortium PhD Scholarships 2023/2024
The AERC (African Economic Research Consortium) has declared the initiation of the AERC PhD Scholarships for the academic year 2023/24. These scholarships are for individuals from Anglophone and Francophone countries in sub-Saharan Africa who desire to study at universities that award Economics degrees.
The goal of the scholarship is to promote progress in sub-Saharan Africa by assisting with the education of economics professionals who are based in the region. This is achieved through offering aid in policy research and graduate training.
In 1988, the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) was founded with the objective of promoting economic policy research and training in Africa. AERC aims to contribute to the sustainable development of sub-Saharan Africa by facilitating the training of skilled, locally-based economists. To achieve this goal, the organization provides support for policy research and graduate-level training in economic policy in both Anglophone and Francophone African nations.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): AERC
Scholarship Type: Full funding
Host Institution(s): Participating universities in Africa
Scholarship Worth: Not specified
Number of Awards: Several
Scholarship Level: Postgraduate (PhD)
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria for the African Economic Research Consortium PhD Scholarships:
- Have applied and been admitted to any of the participating universities.
- Have obtained at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or equivalent in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related field from an accredited university.
- Have a Masters degree (with coursework and thesis component) in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related fields from a recognized University. The coursework should have covered microeconomics, macroeconomics, quantitative methods and econometrics.
- Possession of at least 1 relevant publication in a refereed journal will be an added advantage.
- Evidence of engagement in economic management, research and/or training in the public sector will be an added advantage
- Female and applicants from post-conflict and fragile states (especially the AERC PhD Bridge Programme alumni class of 2017 and 2018) are encouraged to apply.
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Benin, Nigeria
- University of Yaoundé II, Cameroon
- University of Abomey-Calavi, Benin
- Félix Houphouet-Boigny University, Côte d’Ivoire
Application Procedures for the African Economic Research Consortium PhD Scholarships (How to Apply):
Prospective candidates who are keen on applying for the PhD Scholarships offered by the African Economic Research Consortium must submit their admission applications directly to the relevant universities. The application process can be obtained from the universities’ websites. Once they receive an offer letter from the university of their choice, they are required to upload several documents to the AERC scholarship portal, including an application cover letter, their CV, proof of admission to any of the participating universities, and certified copies of their transcripts and certificates.
Application Deadline: August 31st, 2023
For more information Visit the Official Website